Please vote for ideas below or suggest a new one here

To help prevent fraud and touting, all tickets should have the holder’s name on them

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    London AssemblyAdminLondon Assembly (Admin, London Assembly) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BeckyBecky commented  · 

Ticket touts are OK really. Obviously ticket fraud is another seperate concern.
        At the O2 recently my children were in tears, denied entry by a rough looking Security bloke at the O2. who 'ripped up' my childrens tickets for JLS because I had just bought them from a tout. I complained & the O2 allowed me in otherwise that dodgy security firm, I would have made sure were sacked. Over the top actions.
        The touts which are prevelant at Wembley, the O2 & Brixton etc supply a service. you don't have to buy or sell to them.
        PS. Got a letter of apology from O2 aswell - Management were great - Private Security firm, rubbish.

• Mark CulverhouseMark Culverhouse commented  · 

I hope there will be touts because that's the only way some of us will be able to get in to watch events. Me & my family always pop down to the O2 or Wembley & pick them up for peanuts near the start of the event. i.e. £30 for two Lady Gaga last Saturday !!

• Will SmithWill Smith commented  · 

Ticket Touting will be a huge issue. I think having a name simply isn't enough. I know of many times when people have 'faked' a name by taking a print out of a forged utility bill to confirm their name on the ticket. Most people at Security gates for events don't have the time nor inclination to challenge people at the risk of upsetting valid ticket holders. I agree with Paul Baker about having some sort of wristband system and also Phil who suggests the use of pictures on tickets too (similar to Glastonbury)

• London AssemblyAdminLondon Assembly (Admin, London Assembly) commented  · 

phil suggested:
        "Glastonbury's had huge success in preventing touting since introducing their new system in 2007. It's the only major music event in the UK that doesn't really have issues on that front. There's certain disadvantages though, not least the need for pre-registration (which no doubt a portion of people would be upset by). I'd personally advocate it for all major events that suffer from fraud and touting though."

Ray Wise suggested:
        "does a bear..... you know the rest. I remarked in another post that using IDs such as National Insurance numbers OR Passport numbers when buying tickets may help with this only thing is more people will probably moan about than.. Point is - you need to put something in place that doesn't cost a lot of money,, driving licences carry photos but then that restrict to people only if you have a driving licence..
        How do you stop Touts buying tickets in a foreign country...?? Back to the passport number I guess?"

Paul Baker
        "The O2 wristband appears to be a good method of stopping touting.
        If EBay and other advert based sites refuse to list Olympic ticket adverts, this will also help."

Craig suggested:
        "Tickets touts will be prevalent, but that doesn't mean its a huge problem. It's just one of those things. If people really really want tickets then they should get them as soon as they go on sale, don't expect to be able to get cheap tickets close to the event."

Reg Walker suggested:
        "Ticket fraud will be a massive problem for the London 2012 Olympics. The UK is the world center for ticket fraud as has been proven over the last ten years, with virtually ever major and minor UK sporting and music event damaged by this type of criminal activity. We have even managed to export this form of crime as was demonstrated at the Beijing 2008 Olympics. These forms of crime are becoming increasingly more complex, global in nature, with sophisticated infrastructures that are difficult for law enforcement to infiltrate. Due to the lack of adequate investigation and prosecution of the individuals behind ticket fraud in the UK, it is highly likely that they now have funds to set up frauds that may well exceed the proposed budget to counter their activities. The only way to start to tackle the problem is to engage with the few people in the public and private sectors that have practical track records in tackling this form of crime. The most successful operation to combat touting and ticket fraud in the UK is at The O2 in London. That has been in operation since 2007. I would recommend it as a good starting point for LOCOG to look at ways to tackle the problems they are likely to face in the run up to 2012."

Feedback and Knowledge Base